Why do we need to cook vegetables?
Because of the raw vegetable will weak the spleen Qi which is responsible for our digestive system and the body fluid metabolism. As a result of the spleen Qi deficiency, we can have malnutrition, anemia, stomach gas, over weight, abnormal bowel movement-diarrhea or constipation. We can form the mucus toxin in our body which also called “Candida” in western world. The mucus toxin will cause more serious health problems like high cholesterol, ovarian cyst, uterine fibroid, dizziness, fatigue, chronic yeast infection, tumor in the body. In Chinese medicine and Chinese culture, we encourage people eat light cooked vegetables. If we want to eat raw vegetables in order to get the most nutrient from it. I suggest drinking the raw vegetable juice.
Cooked green leafy vegetable itself can dry out the dampness or mucus for our body. Therefore how to cook vegetable became an urgent issue since this is a self healing technique which our society did not teach so much.
What I teach in here for cooking is my life time cooking experience with eastern diet philosophy. I started chopping vegetables at age 10, started cooking dishes at age 12. Most of the cooking techniques are from self learning and improvement, not from the cooking book. I hope this teaching will help you learn the basic skill of eastern cook, especially cooking vegetable, all of the cooking will not use MSG. The flavor comes from the vegetable itself and the ingredient.
Practice is the key to success. I hope you can cook more often with my technique and to offer yourself and your families the healthy and tasty dishes.
There are 3 ways to cook vegetables: 1.Boil. 2. Steam. 3. Stir fry.
All of cooking needs to do with high heat in order to cook quickly. The cooking time is controlled in 6 minutes in my teaching.
Boil the water first in the pot
Only keep the veggie in the boiled water for 1 or 2 minutes.
Boil the water in the pot first, put the veggie in the steamer, count the time when the steam come out from the pot for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir Fry
Cook from 2 to 4 minutes depending on the nature of the veggies.
How to do the stir fry?
½ pound vegetables a wok
1. 1 or 2 table spoon vegetable oil
2. heat up the oil until see the slight smoke.
3. chop half green scallion and 3 to 4 slice fresh ginger root to fine, put them in the hot wok.
4. cover the wok for 15 second until the flavor come out.
5. put the chopped vegetable into the wok and start stir fry. The cooking time will be listed on each individual vegetable below.
6. use sea salt, 2 or 3 gloves garlic-chop fine at the end of cooking.
List of the liver benefit vegetables, the cooking time and the ingredients for the cook.
1. Broccoli; use only sea salt and garlic when you do it with stir fry. Cooking time: 4 minutes.
2. Carrot: Must do stir fry since the vitamins in carrot can be absorbed only in the oil base.
I use soy sauce, black vinegar and garlic at the end of cooking, cooking time: 5 minutes.
3. Celery: A. use soy sauce, black vinegar, garlic at the end of cooking.
B. use sea salt, garlic at the end of cooking.
Cooking time: 4 minutes.
4. Eggplant: Steam is the easy way. Steam time 5 to 6 minutes, use soy sauce, black vinegar, garlic, Sesame oil.
5. String bean: a healthy vegetable can benefit the thyroid gland. When doing stir fry, use only soy sauce or only sea salt with garlic, no vinegar. Cooking time: 6 minutes.
6. Sweat pepper: will introduce it in salad cooking. See below.
7. Asparagus: when comes to stir fry, only use sea salt and garlic in the end of cooking. Cooking time: 2 minutes.
8. Zucchini: when comes to stir fry, only use sea salt and garlic in the end of cooking, Cooking time: 4 minutes.
9. Mushroom: cook with scrambled eggs. Stir fry. Use soy sauce at garlic at the end of cooking. Cooking time: 2 minutes.
10. Sea weed: will introduce it in soup session below.
11. Green leafy vegetables: use only salt and garlic when comes to stir fry. No soy sauce and vinegar.
Cooking time is varied on the nature of the veggie:
A. Spinach- 2 minutes.
B. Kale- 4 minutes
C. Watercress- 2 minutes.
D. Bok-choy- 4 minutes.
E. Dandelion- 2 minutes.
Suggest eat one pound green leave veggie (cooked) per day, 3 to 4 times per week. This diet is especially important after you ate heavy meal in the restaurant.
Salad- Mediterranean salad
Tomato, cucumber, sweat pepper (green, yellow and red mixed), radish, onion or green scallion, dill, olive oil, lemon or balsamic vinegar.
Prefer eating salad after meal, it is good for digestion, absorption, and control the amount of the main meal.
1. Tofu soup or vegetable soup:
Ingredient: Tofu 1 or ½ lb box, mushroom, prefer fresh shitake mushroom 5 or more. A small bunch of spinach or watercress( a quarter pound ), 2 branches celery, 2 organic eggs, sea salt, cilantro, sesame oil, ginger, scallion, white pepper.
1). Put ½ table spoon vegetable oil into a wok,
2). Heat up the oil,
3). Put ½ green scallion and 3 or 4 slice fresh ginger root (chop fine) into the wok.
4). Cover the wok for 15 second,
5) Put sliced shitake mushroom into the wok and start stir fry the mushroom for one minutes,
6). Pour one quart water into the wok, boil the water, now the flavor from the mushroom and
7). Put tofu (cut to small squad piece), celery(cut to small piece)into the soup first and boil them for 5 minutes,
8) Put a quarter pound spinach or watercress in the soup and bring the soup to boil, pour 2 organic egg into the soup like you make Chinese egg drop soup.
9).At the end, add sesame oil 2 or 3 drop, sea salt, cilantro, and very small amount of whit pepper.
2. Seaweed soup.
Ingredient: Seaweed, organic egg, ½ box tofu.
Cooking is the same as vegetable soup. At the end, add sesame oil, cilantro, sea salt, and very small amount white pepper.
Ingredient: one box tofu, prefer medium firm. 2 green scallions, sesame oil, sea salt, white pepper.
Mix everything together, smash the tofu, makes sure to chop the green scallion very fine.
All of the cooking I taught in here is time saving , easy making, and delicious, Hope you enjoy it!
For more advanced cooking skill and the knowledge of Chinese regimen which is very important for prevent disease and longevity, please call me to make an appointment. I will be happy to teach and help you.
Candida is caused by mucus toxin in our body which can be detect by looking at the coating on the tongue- thick and greasy tongue fur. It can cause many symptoms from headache, dizziness, numbness and tingling on limbs, indigestion, stomach bloating, stomach acid reflux, constipation, chronic yeast infection in vagina. high cholesterol, ovarian cyst, chronic sinus infection, low immunity, fatigue, foggy mind and more.
According to TCM, mucus toxin is formed by liver dysfunction and spleen or kidney weakness which can affect the fluid metabolism in our body and lead to fluid retention, if one is not aware of this change and ignore it, eventually mucus toxin is formed in one’s body and candida is started.
Candida can be successfully treated by Chinese medicine with acupuncture and Chinese herbs. If you have the symptoms described above, please contact me at 212-779-0468 , you will get the most efficient treatment and regain the health.
I would like to give you the knowledge about how to avoid creating mucus in the body through the diet, It is easy to learn but need a lot of discipline and will power to follow the principles. Good news is all of my patients can make it after be educated by me and get dramatically better in their health, you can make it also.
Here are the principles of the diet:
Dietary factors which contribute to mucus or dampness
1. cold food.
2. very sweat food.
3. raw food.
4. highly mucus forming food: red meat, dairy- milk, cheese, ice cream, margarine, butter, nuts if over taking. avocado if over taking. egg if over taking. Oil.
Food which can dry the mucus.
Rye , corn, azuki bean, celery, lettuce. pumpkin, green leafy vegetable. scallion, alfalfa, white pepper, barley, raw honey.
So we have to avoid the fact which can cause our body produce the mucus and do the right things in the diet to keep our body clean and healthy.